WORKING HOLIDAY VISA ( subclass 417)

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people (must be between 18 and 30 years old)  who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries. It is the best opportunity to make an unforgettable life experience, saving some money and travel through the Australian territory.

For many people represents the right chance to have a gap year and clearing it out and breathing some wilderness air.

In order to get this Visa you need to apply online a simple application, directly on the website ( of the Australian Department of Immigration.

Here are some specific aspects you need to take into consideration when applying for this type of Visa:

VISA APPLICANTS – Who could get this visa

As stated on the Department of Immigration Website, in order to get your Working Holiday Visa you need to meet 3 main requirements:

  • You must are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • You do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
  • You must have a passport from an eligible country
From where can you apply
From where to apply

You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.


The current visa application price is 440 $ aud.

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge by credit card when you apply. After you have lodged your application, the Department of Immigration will let you know that it has received your information and you will be able to track and manage your application using your Immi Account.


  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.


If the visa is granted, you will be notified regarding

  • when you can use the visa
  • the visa grant number
  • any conditions attached to the visa.

You will not have a visa label placed in your passport.

If the visa is not granted, the Department of Immigration will notify you:

  • why the visa was refused
  • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

In case of visa refused or withdrawal of the application, there won’t be any refund.

Once your visa has been granted you have 12 months to enter Australia.

Your year will start on the moment you will arrive in Australia and it will finish one year after ( it is not possible to block it when it has already started).

If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

If you are already in Australia, and wish to remain onshore, you should apply for a second Working Holiday visa before your current visa expires and before you have turned 31 years of age.

To apply for a second Working Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 417), you must:

  • have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa
  • have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa
  • have completed three months of specified work in “regional area“ while on your first Working Holiday visa (88 days)
  • have not yet turned 31 years of age.

It is not compulsory to utilize the second visa right after you have completed your first Working Holiday Visa as long as the request will be lodged before you turn 31 years of age.


To apply for a second Working Holiday visa, you must have already completed three months of specified work in regional Australia. This specified work must have been completed while on your first Working Holiday visa.

Specified work is work that is undertaken in a 'specified' field or industry in a designated regional area. See the Department of Immigration section on Regional Areas to check the postcode list of designated regional areas.

All specified work performed on or after 1 December 2015 must be remunerated in accordance with the relevant Australian legislation and awards.

Approved industries for specified work include:

  • plant and animal cultivation
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • mining

Applicants can find specified work vacancies through employment pages in newspapers, the Internet and job placement service providers. Vacancies for plant and animal cultivation can be found on the Harvest Trail website. .

How to calculate specified work
'Three months' means three 'calendar' months or 88 days. Work can be either:

  • in one block with one business
  • in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses.

One full day of work is defined as having worked the minimum number of hours considered to be a standard day by the particular industry in which the applicant is employed.  Generally, the Australian working week is 35 to 40 hours

How to lodge your second working holiday visa application:

Once you have completed your 88 days, you need to fill the specific Form 1263.

It is  fundamental to ensure that all information provided is correct.

Providing a false or misleading declaration or fraudulent evidence for any visa application can result in the application being refused or cancelled.

If the applicant's visa is cancelled they may be prevented from lodging further applications and be excluded from Australia for a period of three years.

  • I just arrived to Australia and my English is really bad. Can I study in Australia on my Working Holiday Visa?

    Working Holiday Visa holders are permitted to study or train for up to four months.

  • What are the restrictions while holding a Working Holiday Visa?

    You are allowed to work for the full 12 months of the Working Holiday Visa (full time), however you can only work for a maximum of 6 months with any one employer.

    You can also study for a maximum of 4 months.

  • I have a child. Can I still get a Working Holiday Visa?

    Working holiday visa holders cannot be accompanied by dependent children at any time during their stay in Australia. So, it is possible to obtain a working holiday visa if you have a child, but your child cannot join you in Australia while you are on your working holiday visa.

  • I am going to apply for the visa before I turn 31 but not enter Australia until after my 31st birthday. Is that ok?

    Yes. The issue with the 31st birthday affects visa application lodgement only. Once the working holiday visa is granted you must make your first entry within one year from the date of grant. Once you make your first entry on the working holiday visa this activates the visa. The visa is then valid for one year stay in Australia from your date of first entry.

  • What’s the Tax File Number (TFN) ?

    A tax file number (TFN) is a unique identifier issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to each taxpaying entity. You can ask for TFN online, only if you are currently in Australia.

  • Should I get a one-way or return flight?

    If you know exactly when you are going to return home from Australia it makes sense to buy a return ticket because it is cheaper than buying 2 separate one-way tickets.

    If you do not know exactly when you are going to return, consider getting an ‘open return’ ticket. This gives you a lot more flexibility for deciding when to return.

  • Is it possible to extend the first Working Holiday Visa?

    Working holiday makers who have been employed in specified work in regional Australia for a minimum of three months will be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa, allowing them to stay in Australia for a further 12 months, provided they continue to meet the working holiday eligibility requirements.

  • Do I need a physical visa sticker in my passport?

    No. Your visa is linked to your passport electronically when your application is processed.

  • Where do I apply for my Working Holiday Visa?

    You must be outside Australia when you apply online for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.

  • How much money do you need to go to Australia?

    There is no set rule here and the immigration officer is able to assess each person on a case by case basis. It is well known that AU$5,000 is definitely considered Sufficient Funds, however unofficially they will accept less.

    You may be asked to show evidence of this on arrival to satisfy immigration officials.

    Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

  • How long are you allowed to stay in Australia?

    A Working Holiday Visa gives you 12 months to travel to Australia from the date the visa is granted, and allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter Australia.

    You can leave and re-enter Australia within the 12 months from the date of initial entry to Australia. However, if you depart Australia during your 12 month stay, you are not able to recover in any way the period of time spent outside Australia.

  • How long does it take to get the first working holiday visa to Australia?

    Once you apply and meet all the criteria, you can get your visa in as little as 48 hours, which is the standard processing time, unless it requires further processing with the Australia Immigration office in which case it could take up to four weeks to finalise.