If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500). This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognized education institution.

There are 3 main training categories in the Australian Education system:

(Vocational, Education & Training)
Degree, Bachelor Degree, Master, PhD

ELICOS stands for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students and is designed for students who need to learn English before commencing formal studies in Australia.

When you choose to study English Language in Australia you have different study options, based on the goal and on the level you are willing to achieve.

  • General English Courses
  • Cambridge English Certifications
  • IELTS Preparation
  • EAP – English for Academic Purposes
  • Business English

In Australia vocational education and training is mostly post-secondary and provided through the VET system by registered training organisations. 

Vocational Education and Training provides people with the skills and knowledge to enter the workforce, change careers, upgrade their skills or move into further education. Vet courses include Certificate 1-4, Diploma and Advanced Diploma qualifications

Also referred to as tertiary education, higher education is generally provided by universities and by other higher education institutions such as Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).


  • If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

If you are in Australia, you can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but you must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.

  • You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance. You can select an approved OSHC provider and pay for the policy yourself. Some education providers might offer to arrange OSHC for you.
  • You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. If you do not need to provide this evidence with your application, Immigrations has discretion to ask you for this during the application process.

  • The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will and consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.

The GTE requirement provides a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student visa programme for motives other than gaining a quality education. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to become permanent residents.


  • Study in Australia
  • Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.
  • You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia.
  • Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
  • Voluntary, unpaid work, is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight

The Student Visa Application must be lodged online through your Immi Account and the payment must be done with Credit Card. The current cost is $ 560 aud.